Friday, April 14, 2006

The Uganda Project 2006

Wow, this is the first time I have ever "blogged" something, how exciting! Erin and Jen talked about getting ready to go and the feelings they are experiencing. My feelings are very similar to theirs. The days are counting down and what seemed like monthsand months away is now only days away. It is all very surreal for me, to think that soon I will be in Uganda, Africa working for three months. Africa! That just blows me away! I will be forever grateful for this opportunity. I have always believed that who a person is has a lot to do with the experiences and opportunities they chose to grab hold of throughout their life. I am very excited and grateful for this opportunity and look forward to the many experiences I will have in Uganda.

I have no idea what to expect while I am there, or even what my practicum entails, but I am not one to back down from a challenge. I will be working in the Masaka Referral Hospital under the direction of the medical Social Worker. I am ready to learn and I am ready to give whatever aid I can to the people of Masaka. Don't worry, I am a realist. I know that the hardships faced by the people of Uganda are more than I can change in three months, they are more than I could change in my lifetime. Change does not happen over night, it takes time. Even if I leave at the end of my three months and no one remembers that I was even there, I will remember and maybe the person who was supposed to change was me. Do I sound a little self-absorbed? Don't worry I know it's not all about me. I'm not looking for miracles, I am simply looking to do my part, help where I can, and do my best to never forget what the experience I am about to have taught me.

Well I guess that is about it. Geez, who knew I'd get on here say this, definitly not me. I hope you enjoy reading what the four of us post on this blog. We will do our best to keep you updated on what's happening with us. This was my piece for the moment. Until next time...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey -very cool.
I'm sure you'll do a great job.
Did you know that Masaka means, "No Kidding!" in Japanese?
Haha.

Anonymous said...

Wow I enjoyed reading that. I didn't know who wrote it until the end. Then I was even more moved! I know this will be your most memorable time in your life so far and will leave you with many memories.
Hope you all have a safe and enjoyable time!
D:)